Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In their infinite corporate wisdom, Wal-Mart decided to have me and about eight other department managers unload the truck this morning at 8:45am. Some of us were very upset, I was sort of irritated. I wasn't doing anything anyway, because I'm done. Running my department is like driving for hours along a straight flat highway. It's just not that hard to keep it going straight, minor adjustments are all you need. So, when I say I'm done I am, except for the four or five carts of backstock that need to be worked. I could work these, but they represent at most about two hours of constant effort for one person. I usually wait until my sales associate comes in and we work it together. We got it done, all she had left to do was one cart and then all that's left is the new freight. Overnighters do that, so there's really no pressure. Given that as my situation, unloading the truck in one hour wasn't a detriment to my workload. I actually rather enjoyed it.

The problem is when the unloaders show up at 2, there won't be shit for them to do. They are after all unloaders, their sole purpose is to work the truck. They get paid less than we do. So the company just wasted man hours unloading a truck six hours early for no reason at all. There was no second truck coming in later, I checked. They worked most of the freight up, and the unloaders can easily finish what's left, so the overnight shift will have absolutely nothing to do. I just don't understand the reason for having us unload it that early. Why can't they tell us why? Is it such a Goddamned secret? Also, the other department managers had things that needed to be done. They just called all the large male people they could think of to unload. Just because I'm not doing much in the morning doesn't mean they don't have a different routine. Many of them only have one person besides them for their department all week. They have to work much harder than I do to get things done. On top of that I know for sure that a couple of them have worthless helpers that don't do shit all day. Please, leave the unloading to the unloaders, and let the department managers do the department managing.

No comments: