Monday, May 29, 2006

I watched Xmen 3 Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure how to take it. I liked it well enough. It was entertaining to watch and all that, but it didn't have the same feel that Xmen 2 had. It's also hard for me to discuss this without revealing spoilers. Let's just say that three characters die, and Nightcrawler is nowhere to be found. Also Bullet Tooth Tony is Juggernaut. I didn't realize Juggernaut was British. I can't remember his real name, Vinnie Jones or something? Anyway, two of the characters I cared about, and the other was kind of meh. The whole thing centers around a cure from this mutant whose mutation is to reverse mutations. How he doesn't reverse his own mutation I don't know. I'm just supposed to accept this apparently. So, through a process they don't go into in the movie they extract his anti mutant mutation and weaponize it. They also offer it as a cure. Obviously this pisses off all mutants and gives Magneto his scapegoat to rouse all mutants to revolution, so expect one anti human speech after another. Two important characters from the last two movies lose their mutation, but they pull some typical shit like the comics did with Superman. They kill him, then they bring him back, then they kill him, etc. They use this to set up a sequel. It's worth watching for special effects, maybe. It's better than other movies I watched for that purpose, such as Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, and The Day After Tomorrow, which had serious flaws. Really I should have learned my lesson a long time ago when it comes to stuff like this. Did I learn nothing from the Wild Wild West?

Overall, I say watch it, but maybe wait for a rental. It's good enough to spend some money on anyway. I managed to spend only $5.75, so if you can see it in the theater for that price, then by all means.

On a side note, I think Dad is watching Shaft. I will always recognize bow chicka bow. Who indeed is the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

1 comment:

Paranoid Whimper said...

Good thing I was not conned into seeing Xmen III. Instead, I lavished in the glory of the highly swooned-over "The Davinci Code" movie. It was well worth the theater tickets. And if not for the great movie, the actress from the foreign film, "Amelie", was co-starring in it. And she's hot.