Monday, August 16, 2010

So today I was told by my boss that I had been doing the billing paperwork wrong.  It was explained to me what he wanted and I said ok that's the way I'll do it.  It occurred to me afterwards that maybe that was what is called an ass-chewing.

I don't think so.  I spent 3 years in the Army.  I am well aware of the parameters of ass chewing.  An ass chewing consists of a large man yelling at the top of his lungs with his face right in front of your face.  Spit flies, F-words are abundant.  You have no escape.  You must listen.  This was not an ass chewing.  This was a simple correction.  I am easy to correct at work because I know who's in charge.  I know that I'm not in charge.  The way it is is the way it is and I'm powerless to change it.  I understand that if I don't like it I can work somewhere else and no hard feelings.

Some people don't understand authority.  The worst kind of person to have a misunderstanding of authority is someone in charge.  They think it's like a pack of dogs where you have to constantly posture and look tough otherwise the other dogs won't respect you.  I find this behavior weak minded and overflowing with insecurity.  If you're the boss you had ought to know that fact pretty well.  Let your every thought be infused with "I'm in charge of this situation."  There is no need to yell when you're in charge.  All you have to do is say, "This is what needs to get done today and this is who's going to do it.  If you have questions just ask."  It's so much easier to work for you if this is how you manage.  Be well organized and execute your plan.  Use your people to get this plan done and work alongside them to accomplish it.  Thank them for their efforts.  Always be polite.

If your employees don't do what you say or give you a bunch of attitude there is no need to get angry.  You don't get angry because you are in charge.  They have no power over you.  They can go work somewhere else.  I don't know why you'd want someone working for you who constantly breaks the rules or treats you with contempt.  This person needs to be fired before he/she hurts themselves or someone else.  People can't give the person in charge attitude unless they allow it.

Please, if you're a manager be honest with your employees.  Always mean what you say and never make promises you can't guarantee.  This advice works outside the work place as well.  Give it a try.

No comments: