Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For those of you over the age of 25 and still living with your parents, I have something for you. See, I'm 27, and I've lived outside of my parent's walls since 21, unless you count the army. Living on your own isn't that bad, as long as you have a decent job and a friend here or there to spend time with. Now, for some strange reason which doesn't need to be detailed here, I moved away from Ithaca to this lovely retirement community in North Central Texas. (This means it's full of old people who hate young people and are generally against any sort of business that relates to fun. As a result, we are stuck with Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, and Wal-Mart. Guess where I work? I think there's a Radio Shack somewhere, and a shitload of car repair shops, along with a dozen or so closed up store fronts. Translation: Wal-Mart is the only thing to do). I moved in with my sister, which has led to the retarded assumption by most acquaintances that we are married. It has forced us to alter the introduction to the mighty presence of the two of us at once.

Now things are about to be flipped on their ass. This house will become like a house of a family that owns the King Buffet in Ithaca. My parents are moving down here on Tuesday. This is not a visit. They will be staying here for who knows how long, and it has led me to an awkward position. I'm not moving back in with Mom, she's moving back in with me. Does this mean Dad is still in charge? Or are we all equals in this endeavor to combine powers against our collective debts? Or will this small 2 bedroom one bath house explode due to our proximity? One thing's for certain, I can never watch Kill Bill again. Wedding Crashers must be hidden. I probably won't be able to watch any non-Christian entertainment in my house until this is over. Well, I mean I won't be able to watch it on the HDTV and surround sound in the living room at least. I can always watch shit in my room, but that's like trading your Jag for a fucking Pinto.

So, if you still live with your parents take heart. At least they're not living with you.

On a side note, this doesn't mean that I don't want them to move in. They are in a tight spot and I'm happy to be in the position to help them out. God knows they have certainly rearranged their lives for me. It certainly won't kill me. I just hope it will be better than the above paragraph describes it. I want to be able to watch a Harry Potter movie if the need comes up. They do not suck, and if you can get over yourself for a moment, you can even draw excellent moral conclusions from them.

No comments: